The Bayer Group
The Bayer Group is managed as a life science company with three divisions – Pharmaceuticals, Consumer Health and Crop Science – and the Animal Health business unit, which are also our reporting segments. The corporate functions, Business Services and the service company Currenta support the operational business. In 2017, the Bayer Group comprised 237 consolidated companies in 79 countries throughout the world. As described in further detail below, Bayer’s interest in Covestro AG stood at 24.6% as at the end of the reporting period. Covestro is no longer a reportable segment and has been accounted for using the equity method as of the beginning of the fourth quarter of 2017.
Our Strategic Priorities
- Positioning businesses to mega-trends: health and nutrition We provide solutions for two of the most pressing challenges of our times.
- Steering a leading portfolio: leadership in our relevant markets We invest in a portfolio of strong, value-generating businesses.
- Driving value: profitable growth We increase the value of our businesses in the long-term.
- Focusing on our strength: innovation We address unmet societal challenges through innovation.
- Our diversified portfolio of Life Science businesses delivers profitable growth.
We continuously strive to develop our businesses such that they assume leading positions in the respective industries and segments.
Click here to find more details about the Bayer group structure
Organization of Bayer
Business operations are the responsibility of divisions - Pharmaceuticals, Consumer Health and Crop Science. Learn more about Bayer operational areas here
The Bayer Group comprises 241 consolidated companies** in 79 countries throughout the world. Global headquarters are in Leverkusen, Germany.
On December 31st, 2017, Bayer employed 99,820 people worldwide. In Germany we had 31,620 employees , which was 31.7% of the total Group workforce. The Asia Pacific region represented 22.9% of the Group Workforce. Read more about Bayer's workforce here
Bayer business at prior year level - on track with strategy
- Group sales €35.0 billion (Fx & portfolio adj. +1.5%)
- Another record year for Pharmaceuticals
- Weak business development at Consumer Health
- Crop Science business down against prior year due to situation in Brazil – measures taking effect EBITDA before special items €9.3 billion (−0.3%)
- Net income €7.3 billion (+61.9%)
- Core earnings per share €6.74 (+1.0%) Covestro deconsolidated – additional cash inflows of €4.7 billion Monsanto acquisition expected to close in second quarter of 2018
- Further progress in implementing sustainability targets
- Group outlook for 2018: increase in sales (Fx & portfolio adj.), EBITDA before special items and core earnings per share (Fx adj.) at prior-year level due to currency effects
Annual report information at a glance and more can be found on our global website here